You use your mouth for so many things every day and probably pay little to no attention to how it feels. That is, until it no longer feels fine. When the joints in your jaw become inflamed, it’s the result of the pressure caused by clenched teeth or teeth grinding. So, if your jaw aches, or your mouth hurts when you move your jaw, it might be a result of a TMJ (or temporomandibular joint) disorder. With our TMJ treatment in Newburgh, you will:
- Enjoy everyday activities like laughing, talking, and eating without pain
- Experience fewer headaches, earaches, and jaw pain
- Avoid damage to the teeth
- Put an end to your pain for good
- Sleep better at night
Dr. Petrosino of Smile Design Dental wants to help you before your disorder gets worse. Call today at 845-670-5423 to set up your consultation.
Stop the Ache in Your Jaw by Treating Your TMJ
While the dental profession is not quite sure what causes TMJ, what contributes to the development of the disorder is teeth grinding, or bruxism. This contributing factor puts a massive amount of additional strain on the joint. However, a TMJ treatment can be done to cure this injury or disorder. Here’s what treatment will look like:
- Botox® Injections – For some painful conditions that may be linked to TMJ disorder, we offer this FDA-approved facial treatment. Although normally considered a cosmetic service, this type of TMJ treatment relaxes the muscles and relieves pain.
- Mouthguard – We can also prevent your teeth grinding by crafting a custom-made oral appliance, or mouthguard, for you to wear at night. The mouthguard will protect your teeth from chipping, cracking, or breaking due to excessive teeth grinding. It will also spread the biting forces of grinding across your dental arch. This will lessen the force being applied to the TMJ and potentially save you from developing a painful joint disorder.
You are certainly not alone if you are experiencing symptoms from TMJ. In fact, over 10 million Americans struggle with TMJ disorder. Symptoms of a TMJ injury or disorder can range from mild to severe. They include:
- Mild Symptoms – These include aching or mild pain within the joint, clicking when you move your jaw, or swelling in the area of the injury.
- Severe Symptoms – This includes pain when moving your jaw, locking of your jaw in the open or closed positions, and migraines and headaches.
Whether you are experiencing mild or severe symptoms, it’s time to live pain-free with TMJ treatment in Newburgh. Call Smile Design Dental at 845-670-5423 to schedule your appointment or .