November 1, 2017
If you’re looking for a teeth replacement solution that will give you unmatched durability and security, look no further than dental implants. They’re as close as you can get to new permanent teeth!
At Smile Design Dental, we make it easy to get a smile you’re proud of. We offer a variety of ways to use dental implants to fit your needs, whether you’re missing just one tooth, a few teeth in a row, or you’re looking to replace an entire set of teeth.
Read on to learn more about dental implants. Then, give us a call our Newburgh, NY office at 845-670-5423 to schedule an appointment!
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is a small post made of titanium, a strong but lightweight biocompatible metal. The dental implant is inserted into your gums and acts as a replacement for the root of the missing tooth. Your jawbone bone actually heals around the dental implant in a process called osseointegration, and the dental implant just becomes part of you.
The dental implant is topped with a custom abutment, which securely holds a dental prosthetic in place. Traditionally, the dental implant supports a crown, which replaces the visible portion of a single tooth. But a dental implant can also anchor a bridge (which replaces a series of missing teeth) or a full dental arch prosthetic.
What Are The Benefits Of Dental Implants?
Some consider dental implants to be one of the greatest advances in dentistry over the past 50 years — and for good reason!
They provide a more secure hold than any other teeth replacement option, so you won’t experience any uncertainty about the placement and stability of your prosthetic.
Dental implants can:
- Prevent jawbone deterioration. Because dental implants are fused to your jaw, your jaw is still engaged when you chew. That’s the case with your natural teeth, but not all tooth replacement options offer the same benefit. This is why some people with traditional dentures — which transfer bite force to the gums rather than the jawbone — experience bone loss in their face.
- Provide a secure hold on a dental prosthetic. This can be a huge advantage for those worried about ill-fitting traditional dentures, which rely on an adhesive to stay in place. If dentures don’t fit properly, they could slip or come loose when you’re talking or eating.
- Last a lifetime!All they require is proper care: diligent brushing and flossing, as well as routine dental checkups every six months. Dental investments truly are a long-term investment in your dental health and your happiness.
How Can Dental Implants Help Me If I Need To Replace A Full Set Of Teeth?
More and more people are turning to dental implants when they need to replace a full set of teeth. Now, if you’re missing a mouthful of teeth, getting a dental implant for every tooth you need to replace would be quite expensive and require a lot of chair time.
Luckily, there are a number of ways to anchor a full dental arch prosthetic on dental implants. Some options are even removable like traditional dentures, so you can experience the best of both worlds!
Those options include:
- All-On-6 dental implants. This treatment is similar in concept to All-On-4 but uses two additional dental implants to hold the prosthetic in place. When you come into Smile Design Dental for a consultation, Dr. Petrosino will talk with you about which option might be better for you.
- Dental implant-supported dentures. This teeth replacement solution gives you the ability to remove your set of false teeth like traditional dentures, but with the added security of being attached to dental implants. Dental implant-supported dentures require the placement of just two dental implants, which will be attached to a bar. Your prosthetic will have a connector that slips underneath the bar and clips into place for a sturdy hold.
Restore Your Confidence And Dental Function
When you’re missing a full set of teeth, smiling can be embarrassing, and simple tasks — like chewing and talking — can be burdensome. Replacing those teeth will instantly improve your quality of life and restore your confidence!
At Smile Design Dental, our highly qualified staff and investment in state-of-the-art dental technology will ensure precise and comfortable placement of your dental implants. You’ll enjoy the benefits of dental implants for years to come!