In the long run, a dentist should save your family time, money, and hassle. After all, if dental care becomes a burden, you’re less likely to keep up your family’s smiles. Dr. Geraldine Petrosino, a Newburgh family dentist for over two decades, is here to make your life easier and healthier! At Smile Design Dental, she can take care of just about all your loved ones’ needs in one location. That’s especially important this time of year as the kids prepare to go back to school.
To see what our Newburgh, NY dentist can do for your kids’ smiles, get a sneak peek below, then call 845-670-5423 today. We’re just minutes away from East Coldenham Elementary School and Meadow Hill School.
Dental Cleanings & Exams Boost Health & Confidence
You can never start too early with kids’ smiles. Cleanings and exams are foundational for healthy, confident smiles that last a lifetime. Cavities are the most common dental concern for kids, and we work hard to prevent them and educate you on how to do that too.
Here’s what you might expect at one of these appointments, whether your kid is starting preschool or their first year of college:
- A thorough cleaning that eliminates tartar buildup (which makes teeth look stained and unclean)
- A polish of their teeth for a shinier smile that also resists plaque
- Fluoride treatments to offer extra protection and help prevent the need for fillings
- Sealants that coat teeth for years’ worth of protection against cavities
- Nutritional advice, as we care about your children’s oral and overall health
- Digital X-rays that let us easily find problems – whether cavities or oral developmental issues
- A close examination of any other oral concerns
Let the kids sit back, relax, and enjoy their favorite TV show while we help their smile stay healthy.
Our Sports Mouthguards Offer Superior Protection
Is your child playing sports this year at school? Maybe all your kids are athletically talented, or you might have some who prefer skateboarding or gymnastics over school sports. Regardless, please consider a custom mouthguard that our team can fit just for your child’s mouth and even their particular sport.
The American Dental Association says that mouthguards have to perform correctly to be effective. If your child has a high-quality, durable mouthguard that’s comfortable because it’s made just for them, they are more likely to prevent dental injuries. According to the ADA, “Comparison finds custom mouthguards made by dentists to perform best.”
Invisible Orthodontics Are Great for Self-Conscious Teens
Though we don’t offer orthodontic care for younger kids, we always check their bite development at their regular checkups. If we notice any reason they could benefit from orthodontics, we can refer them to a trusted orthodontist in the area.
That said, older teens may be good candidates for Invisalign. These clear aligners are a favorite because they:
- Are virtually invisible, so their peers aren’t distracted by metal in their mouth
- Are removable and don’t get in the way of eating what they want
- Don’t leave food stuck between metal parts of braces
- Don’t require extra tools and extra time to brush and floss their teeth
- Can be removed for special occasions, such as prom or yearbook photos (though many patients keep them in because they’re barely noticeable!)
- Are more comfortable than braces
- Are often as affordable as braces
- Can take less time than metal braces, sometimes as little as 12 months
- Require fewer visits for progress since there are no wire tightenings
Invisalign does require your teen to wear the aligners for at least 20-22 hours a day to work correctly. You’ll want to make sure they’re responsible enough to comply before starting treatment.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Alleviates Pain & Prevents Other Problems
The late teen years are marked by certain milestones. Wisdom teeth extraction is one of those for several teens. These teeth usually come in starting at 17 or 18. With our digital X-rays, we can keep up with their development and let you know if your teen could benefit from having them removed. We’ll only recommend removal if it will:
- Alleviate pain or discomfort
- Decrease risk of infection and tooth decay
- Prevent other teeth from shifting or becoming crowded
We can handle many cases of extraction right here in our office. If your teen hasn’t been to the dentist in a while, make sure to call and let us check on these often pesky teeth.
Our Newburgh family dentist office is here for your whole crew as they grow in age and confidence. Let us help contribute to confidence in their appearance and overall self-esteem with a healthy, beautiful smile. Call us at 845-670-5423 or fill out our online form to request an appointment.